Carmen at the Metropolitan Opera

Carmen at the Metropolitan Opera

Operas, a drama set to music, originated in Italy and have been around since the 16th century. This art form has spread to many countries and changed accordingly. Georges Bizet, a French composer of the romantic era, wrote Carmen. The first production took place in Paris in 1875. It was not received very well, but we can understand this; in 1875, the French audience were considerably conservative, so Carmen was shocking. Today, we have been exposed to more “liberal” forms of media, so our reactions were quite different then theirs.

Just seeing all the energy the audience had before the show actually created high expectations for me. Also, getting to know the story line, characters, and music beforehand made me look forward to seeing it all put together.

carm14_5096a-1

For instance, when the aria Habanera began, I was pleasantly surprised to hear how much better it sounded live! Personally, it is something I have heard time and time again which makes it all the more special to hear it being played and sung live.

The story line was relatively easy to follow, and the actors’ emotions really showed. Regardless, the English subtitles truly helped. I’m sure translating the opera takes away from the overall performance but it’s worth it to understand the story more in depth.

One of the more interesting aspects that stood out for me was the impression of grandeur the entire experience portrayed. Everything was spacious, large, classic, and full of lighting and royal colors. It gives you a sense of humility, as if you are here to experience something profound that you will only get to see once in a lifetime. The entrance was grand, the stage was large, and the actors’ voices were powerful. This impression contributed to my enjoyment of the overall opera and I would love to see another one if I have the opportunity.

Judging by everyone’s (myself included) continued humming/singing of the music in the opera, I believe the music left the most lasting impression on us. Personally, I have heard this music many times, so it was a pleasure hearing it all again live. Actually, I remember being exposed to the opera when I was a child in an old television show: Hey Arnold! If anyone remembers this episode, the children in the show actually played the different characters in Carmen.  The same music is played but the lyrics are different. Below is a short clip:

Helga_as_Carmen

Habanera sung by the Hey Arnold! characters: