Graffiti Art

Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 3.27.54 PM

[SOHO]

One of the greatest perks of living in the city of Manhattan is the availability of art all around the city. Graffiti, often regarded as vandalism by authority, is a style of art that significantly characterizes New York. I find that this particular form of art focuses on expression of rebellion, individuality, and having a voice. The culture of graffiti has been around since the 1970’s and grew due to competition amongst artists who aimed to spray their names citywide. Even though graffiti art is not as prevalent as it once was, you can still admire them all around the city almost as if you are walking around a gallery. I love how you can see the history and some sort of identity behind each spray: names of artists, group symbols, revolutionary statements and just cool splashes of color. The style and colors used in graffiti art are also elements that really capture me. It’s as if each word or picture is crying out for attention through neon paint, thick boarders and eccentric fonts. I had always thought that the style of graffiti was cool because unlike traditional art the places in which you find these works are not usually upscale galleries or museums. So I found it more relatable in a lot of ways. But because I had grown up in the suburbs, I was rarely exposed to the graffiti scene. Since moving out into the city, I have experienced so many beautiful works of graffiti art that looks so much cooler in person. I really like this one building that’s entirely covered in color by Williamsburg and this other graffiti board in St. Marks but my favorite piece of graffiti is at the top of a rooftop in Soho. You can over look the buildings and the combination of colors on the wall gives off a lively atmosphere. These little things about New York are what make this city so rich in culture.

[5 Pointz NYC]

5pointz-graffiti