Skepticism in PeaRoeFoam

As I stood outside the David Zwirner Gallery and waited for the rest of the class to arrive, I took a good look at the building itself. It had an “industrial” sort of look to it, but it was also modern, unique, and aesthetically pleasing. I believe it perhaps suggested what was to be found on the inside. However, what I found inside was quite contrasting.

The exhibition, “PeaRoeFoam,” by Jason Rhoades was being displayed. He used a combination of  “whole green peas, fish-bait style salmon eggs, and white virgin-beaded foam,” and glued them together to create various physical objects.

20140930_120747 20140930_121105

It’s quite possible that this “PeaRoeFoam” was Rhoade’s attempt to parody the idea of spending large amounts of money on useless material objects (luxury items and the like). His art is made of inexpensive, disposable materials and can be categorized as dada. It’s a form of “anti-art”: it’s nonsensical, irrational, and not aesthetically pleasing. The entire point is that it’s unconventional. So unconventional, in fact, that a theory to why the movement ended was because “it was in danger of becoming ‘acceptable.'”

The entire idea is too ironic for me to truly comprehend. Rhoades thought consumerism/materialism was ridiculous … so he sold people “junk” for high prices? I suppose if you can’t beat them, join them? And if any person who was interested in buying a piece of this artwork for such a hefty price is self-respecting, they would try to discover what it means. Then, they would understand the ridicule behind consumerism and extreme materialism Then … they buy it anyway? What?

I appreciate the concept, and I enjoyed being exposed to something very unique. However, I continue to have a hard time finding the fine line between portraying a message/being creative and just being ostentatious, fancy, and bombastic. Don’t get me wrong; ultimately, I haven’t decided what I believe PeaRoaFoam really is.