The Guggenheim

I visited the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum for the first time on October 4th, 2011. I had of course, heard about the museum’s world-renowned art collection and was prepared to be impressed by the famous works of art. However, what I was not prepared for was the extraordinary design of the building itself. The physical building of the Museum by itself would qualify as a great work of art for it’s sheer beauty and impressive form.

Photo Source: http://www.guggenheim.org/
guggenheim-foundation/architecture/new-york

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, the museum opened its doors to the public on October 21, 1959. Its distinct and inspiring design make it an architectural masterpiece.

My view of the Skylight Dome as I entered The Guggeheim

As I went from one level to the next inside the building, my eyes were repeatedly drawn from the art works hanging on the walls to the stunning skylight dome at the top of the circular ramp which constitutes the interior of The Guggenheim. In my opinion, it is an elegant design conducive to artistic inspiration and appreciation. I will also never forget the breathtaking feeling I experienced when I first walked in and looked up at the dome.