NAWA!

My visit to the NAWA was a part of a day of firsts. I experienced my first CSI shuttle ride, my first ferry ride, my first subway ride, my first NAWA exhibit visit, and my first dinner at Chipotle. Yes, it is a little embarrassing to admit that I had never been on the ferry or subway before (I always take the bus). These experiences were very interesting to say the least. On the subway, a French man asked me for directions and then offered me his phone number to use if I’m ever in Paris. Luckily, Chris and the kind stranger who knew French were there to save the day. We also saw a man walking around the city with a cat on his head. No, I am not joking, there was literally a cat sitting on a walking man’s head. Although these details may seem irrelevant, they are all part of my NYC experience. So, when we got to the exhibit, I was pleasantly surprised. The artwork was so diverse and so amazing! My favorite piece was called “Threads of my Father” by Betty Usdan Zwickler. I know what you’re thinking, “Out of all the amazing paintings and works of art, you’re favorite was a bunch of strings stuck to a board?” Yes, yes it was. I was surprised at how much emotion these colorful little threads were able to evoke from me. For me, this work of art represents the emotional significance human beings place on objects. In a sense, it portrays the power and ability of objects to help us recall a feeling or a memory. This art, for example, represents something the artist’s father owned that reminded her of him and perhaps their relationship. I assume that her father is deceased because I do not think he would have given her all of his threads if he were still alive. I believe the choice of object is also significant (She could have chosen her father’s silverware or coin collection). However, the object she chose was thread. It is as if this thread leads her back in time to her father, or connects them in some way. This artwork reminded me of my own objects that I hold close to my heart. I have a whole box filled with tickets and jewelry and notes in my closet that I call my “Memory Box.” So, thank you Betty for reminding me of some of my own memories by symbolically sharing one of yours. I would also like to add that the artist prices this piece at $1200. This price seems slightly high for a bunch of string. However, I understand the high value she places on this collection of string. I would not sell any item in my memory box for any amount of money because memories are priceless.

DSCN0798 DSCN0799