Samuel Rozenfeld Art Gallery The FRICK

Samuel Rozenfeld

Art Gallery 2020 – The FRICK Collection

A Journey through Art

Antwerp: Van Goyen Looking Out for a Subject

Joseph Mallord William Turner,  1833

I chose this painting, as I did with most of them, because of the focus on and event, scene, or place. This painting in particular was in the middle of the ocean which attracted me because I am a swimmer.

Fishing Boats Entering Calais Harbor

Joseph Mallord William Turner,  1803

This was the first painting that stood out to me, but in the context of the story I have envisioned for this gallery, it will be placed second. This painting was also what made me look at the artists of all the paintings and realize that I have five paintings by one artist.

Harbor of Dieppe: Changement de Domicile

Joseph Mallord William Turner,  1825

In the transcript for this painting, it explains that the painting was meant to be painted in the morning, and that the next painting (below) was meant to be painted in the evening. Joseph Turner’s goal was to capture the glorious light that transformed these picturesque sites. In this painting he draws the sun twice, once in the sky, and once in the river below.

Cologne, the Arrival of a Packet-Boat: Evening

Joseph Mallord William Turner,  1826

This is the second in the Joseph Turner’s project of painting three large canvasses depicting northern continental ports. The art style of Turner really attracts me with his use of colors to portray the sun setting over the water. I really enjoy the warmer tones of a sun rise and set compared to the standard blue of the midday.

Mortlake Terrace: Early Summer Morning

Joseph Mallord William Turner,  1826

This painting now transitions my journey from the ocean and harbors, to the town that we have docked in, still being relatively waterside, but moving away from the focus on the ships. Once again we focus on the sunrise with the painting taking place in the morning.

Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop’s Grounds

John Constable,  1826

We now enter a mini-collection within my gallery, with the next 4 paintings consisting of a small subject in the left foreground, with a bigger architectural or scenic focus in the background. Just looking at the dates of most of these paintings, I guess I just really like early 19th century art.

Village among Trees

Meyndert Hobbema,  1665

So this is the second addition to my left foreground mini-collection. After about 7 paintings I started picking to serve a thematic purpose, which is how this mid 17th century painting snuck on my gallery. However, I do still think that this painting is very nice and enjoy the serenity and isolated ambiance of the subject.

The White Horse

John Constable,  1819

So, I guess I just have a good sense for picking out multiple paintings by the same artist, because this is the second artist on my gallery with multiple appearances. I guess its another artist with multiple appearances on the FRICK’s gallery too…

Landscape with a Footbridge

Jacob van Ruisdael, 1652

And this concludes my mini-collection of people in the left foreground with a majestic senic background. Once again a mid 17th century painting has found its way on my gallery. So how is this horse going to cross this tiny bridge?

The Sermon on the Mount

Claude Lorrain,  1656

Finally our adventure ends with a large gathering in front of a beautiful mountain. My gallery consists purely of early 19th century and mid 17th century art, which is pretty impeccable. It’s interesting looking back on it that these two eras are not only very similar in art style, but both stood out to me. I chose paintings on the basis of aesthetics and nature, scenery, and events. However, this simple criteria ended up giving me a smaller range and variety than I would have expected. I don’t know if I need to expand my taste, or if the FRICK does. Anyways, I hope you’ve enjoyed.

One thought on “Samuel Rozenfeld Art Gallery The FRICK