Maxim Kleyer’s The FRICK Gallery

My Gallery of Paintings

by Maxim Kleyer

George Washington

by  Gilbert Stuart

A portrait this popular does not go unnoticed in my eyes. I picked this specific portrait of Washington because I got a sort of nostalgia from my senior year oh high school where my History teacher believed he was a true hero. Also, He is the first president of our country and a true leader among leaders.

The Rehearsal

by Hilaire-Germain-Edgar Degas

This portrait represents a man playing the violin while 3 women dance in rhythm to the song. I believe that this painting shows us how concerts and certain performances were played with classic instruments and Ballet.

The White Horse

by John Constable

This painting is interesting because I believe it shows a scenery from word expression and not from the first point of view. No horse can be held on a boat but this painting shows how a natural flood may have destroyed the houses in a village that many people lived in.

Self – Portrait

by Rembrandt van Rijn

I chose this painting because I found it rather amusing that an artist has a self-portrait of himself. Also, I believe this further shows how talented and skilled painters were back then since there were no phones to go by as a template image.

An Augustinian Nun

by Piero Della Francesca

This image I chose shows the average nun back in the day. I specifically chose this image as it demonstrates what these nuns wore and how their facial expressions show how they may have felt or needed to act. These nuns served Saint Augustine as well.

An Augustinian Friar

by Piero Della Francesca

Just like the Nun, I believe the friars’ clothing and facial expressions show just how they needed to act or may have felt about their jobs. The Augustinian friars are a mendicant order. As consecrated religious, they pray the Liturgy of the Hours throughout the day. They also serve Saint Augustine.

The Crucifixion

by Piero Della Francesca

This image is iconic. I chose this image of Jesus getting crucified because it was an iconic time back in early A.D. A very important piece of history that shows how people were during the sight of the deceased Jesus. The crucifixion an important method of punishment particularly among the Romans from 6th – 4th century BC.

The Coronation of the Virgin

by Paolo Veneziano

I chose this portrait because I believe the Virgin served as a symbol to many people of her time. On top of that, being coronated may have a bigger impact on her society, as painted by the artist. The Coronation of the Virgin or Coronation of Mary is a subject in Christian art and in the painting Christ, sometimes accompanied by God the Father and the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove, places a crown on the head of Mary as Queen of Heaven.

The Flagellation of Christ

by Cimabue (Cenni di Peppo)

I chose this painting because it shows punishment to Jesus before his crucifixion. Specifically in this painting, it looks as if he is being whipped as punishment for crimes he has committed and enduring tons of pain while being tied to a pole. The theme of the picture is the Flagellation of Christ by the Romans.

Henry Clay Frick

by John C. Johansen

I chose this portrait of the man who has a whole museum named after him because it wouldn’t make sense to not include him. He was a brilliant man Henry Clay Frick was an American industrialist and art patron. He founded the H. C. Frick & Company coke manufacturing company, was chairman of the Carnegie Steel Company, and played a major role in the formation of the giant U.S. Steel manufacturing concern. Clearly, the man was a genius during his time.

2 thoughts on “Maxim Kleyer’s The FRICK Gallery

1. I think a common theme emerged with all of these paintings is that they all have a certain person/people in each photo that, by history, are famous for something . For example, George Washington and Henry Clay Frick helped define their country by what they did in the past. A title i would give for my collection would be called “Beauty of the Past World” because the paintings of my collection show certain people’s self-portraits and certain paintings of past events that shaped our world today.