My Experience with The Met 360° Project

While I have visited the Met in person multiple times, the “Met 360° Project” was an entirely different experience. It certainly does not live up to the magnificence of the physical museum; however, it does provide an easily accessible and free substitute for an actual visit. It was quite interesting to explore the Met from this new perspective, especially considering the interesting technology that allows for rotating in a full circle at any point during the six videos.

The architecture was especially intriguing from this perspective. Being able to view the various parts of the Met from different angles was surprisingly enjoyable. However, the most interesting parts were two of my favorite areas to visit in person: the Arms and Armor Galleries and the Temple of Dendur. The Temple is always a stop for me when I visit the Met because it replicates the experience of being in a genuine ancient Egyptian temple. The immersion is incredible, and the Met 360° Project technology allows a full view of the temple’s interior. Typically, the temple has several people inside its narrow rooms when I visit it in person, so the ability to comfortably view it on a computer is excellent. The video of the Arms and Armor Galleries was perfectly captured to allow full exploration. While this is still not as interesting as physical viewing, it is a respectable alternative.

Overall, the Met 360° Project was a better experience than I expected. The videos were designed very well with incredibly precise camerawork, and the technology is honestly impressive. The clarity of the videos is remarkable considering the full circle of rotation available to viewers. I yearn for the ability to see the Met in person again, but these videos can absolutely satisfy my craving in the meantime.