Jenny Pisani Guest Speaker Experience

During last week’s class, we were introduced to a young, talented guest speaker named Jenny Pisani who explained her journey through college and eventually a career that she loved. I was very inspired by her empowering decision to change the course of her study from engineering to a focus on poetry during college. Many students today experience similar difficulties in which they are unsure of their career paths, so I feel like Jenny’s story can help motivate these people to do what they love. She placed an emphasis on travel and exploration that really became an eye-opener for me. I have always wanted to experience other parts of the world, and Jenny’s studies in Cambodia really helped to solidify that feeling. She showed that words and emotion can make a difference to anyone, especially through the way you deliver it. Jenny attended various open mic sessions with the one incentive of changing people’s perspectives. From the start of the Zoom call, I was hoping that we would be able to hear and witness one of her poetry performances in person. When she finally did, I was able to see how happy she was with displaying her feelings through words. It became clear that every line was deliberately crafted in its own way in order to convey unique messages. This not only provided me with the motivation to pursue what I am passionate about, such as some hobbies outside of school, but encouraged me to share Jenny’s message of love and positivity that was found within her poem. I truly believe that art is whatever you define it as, and getting to meet Jenny Pisani really gave me a new perspective on the idea of poetry as an art form, and how doing what you love can change your entire life.