Guest Speaker Jenny Pisani

I really enjoyed hearing from Jenny Pisani and her success in the arts, especially with something as underappreciated as poetry. Having been in band, I’ve heard my band director saying many times that it is hard to become successful and stable in the arts. I have even had this conversation with some of the most serious and talented members of my band, who were on the fence about doing music as a career, despite their talent.  I thought it was super cool that Jenny lived in Cambodia and did poetry there in a language that wasn’t native to her. I thought it was very cool that she not only had to learn their language, but understand their rules of poetry. She also spoke about helping the Cambodian people expand their poetry outside of their traditional rhythmic style, into a more freeform style of poetry, which I thought was really cool. As important traditions are, it is important to expand and innovate upon them to. Another thing I love about her story is how the saying “Do what you love and money will come” applied so heavily to her. When she started her goal wasn’t to monetize, but to do what she enjoyed and share the messages she enjoyed. From this, people approached her and gave her options on how to monetize her art, even though that wasn’t her primary goal. Overall, hearing her story was a huge inspiration to just do what you love. Sometimes worrying about the finances of it all isn’t the most important thing, it’s just worrying about doing it.