Justin’s Neighborhood Art Walk

Sculpture at New Dorp High School

“Hari IV”, Created by  Bill Barrett, 1982

This sculpture, “Hari IV”, located at New Dorp High School on New Dorp Lane, does indeed speak to me. First, it has been present for almost 40 years, and is something that I vividly remember throughout my high school experience. When viewing it, I am met with a rush of memories of friends and classmates. We always used this as a meeting spot before or after school took place. I also enjoy how we dubbed this sculpture “The Elephant”, due to its abstract structure causing it to look like the animal. In reality, it was actually intended to be a student sitting at a desk with a book. I feel like it represents the success and goals that these high school students are constantly working towards. I do believe that this sculpture represents the community around New Dorp High School as well. It has become a sort of landmark that almost every person in the surrounding neighborhood is familiar with. It has lasted through numerous events that have taken place in the community as well, which provides it with a sense of strength and history. I think that it is there because it bestows the school and surrounding area with a unique identity and brings people together. Although this art is local and familiar, it still carries a strong meaning to me and many others.

One thought on “Justin’s Neighborhood Art Walk

1. It is cool to think about the many generations of people who have met up there, snapped photos, nicknamed the piece etc. It provides a kind of connectedness to the community.