Thoughts on Christopher LoPorto

I’m grateful for all of the creative people that this seminar is exposing us to. I find it fascinating to listen to their stories of succeeding in the arts field. This week’s guest was no exception: he made his own band and was touring regularly prior to the pandemic. We were able to learn the ways that he makes songs, the experience of touring, and some insider information about the industry. I always viewed singers as somewhat unapproachable because they are usually the artists with the most exposure/ fame in the eyes of the public, especially if they can get fully booked concerts. It was very interesting for me to have Christopher explain that he is introverted and enjoys the creative process more than the performance on stage. I also found it interesting that singers sometimes use an online thesaurus to rhyme words just like regular people. Although a small statement, this little detail showed me that singers are just people with a talent that they worked on. It made the field of art seem less reserved for the insanely elite and talented. Not to say that Christopher’s success is by any stretch ‘small’, but it’s instead a statement of encouragement that getting into a creative career is realistic if you wish to pursue it. I found great satisfaction in listening to Christopher talk about his experience with another band, and how it helped him manage his own. I interpreted the statement as ‘you can work your way to success, and it’s ok to start small’.  Overall, it was a very enjoyable meeting. I’m looking forward to the next guest.