Chris LoPorto

Chris mentions how he believes a major distinction between what is considered art is why something is created. If someone produces art strictly to fill a financial void, then there may be a struggle to say that work is art. It also comes down to what each individual classifies as art. For example, Chris talks about how people who may have listened to classical music their entire life, might not consider the music he produces with his band as art. Chris is definitely an artist who values his craft to a high degree. He says that he loves the creation of music and the satisfaction of getting a song right in the studio more than “killing it” on stage. You can definitely recognize this in the band’s music and the lyrics that Chris writes. I really enjoyed listening to “Can’t Swim.” I actually showed some of their songs to my sister, and she successfully added “Stranger” to her Spotify library, which is also my personal favorite. I am typically not an avid listener to alternative/rock music, but I genuinely liked listening to the band’s music.

The way “Can’t Swim” was formed seems pretty unique. I am not completely sure as to how bands are typically formed, but it was interesting to hear that Chris got the record deal himself first. He was then able to form the band with the people he wanted since he had the credentials to scout out “the allstars.” I really enjoyed hearing from Chris and learning about his experiences as a musician, and in general, gaining more knowledge about the art form. Music has always been a huge part of my life, so it was fascinating to get a “behind the scenes” look into the business and craft.