Thoughts on Rich

The guest speaker for this week embodied what I consider a tough biker ‘bro’ with his full beard and bandana. The meeting was insightful but also raised a lot of unanswered questions. Although Rich made a distinction between street art and vandalism, I didn’t see how writing angry emotional messages or leaving a tag is considered art. Rich explained that the purpose of street art was to beautify a location as opposed to vandalism, which is associated with gangs. Despite how cool it all sounded, I didn’t understand how leaving a tag in a tunnel of a subway station was a form of expression/beauty rather than territorial aggression. I consider street art as a mural that represents a community or message. For my definition of street art, tags and fancy lettering on a wall don’t make the cut. I do want to acknowledge that I don’t have enough insight on the topic of street art to make a valid claim about the entire subculture. Regardless of my views about street art vs vandalism, I really did enjoy the guest speaker’s stories. It made me understand how much I don’t know about other people’s form of expression. With the other two guest speakers, I have had some sort of exposure to their art form, while with the blurred lines of street art, I was at a loss with no real understanding of what to make of it. I hope that future meetings with speakers will challenge my understanding of the question “what is art”.