Guest Speaker Geoffrey Doig-Marx

Meeting Geoffrey Doig-Marx was both an enjoyable and informative experience. Geoffrey’s story was inspiring to me because it reflects the passion he had for dance. He was kicked out of his house because his parents were not accepting of his passion. At the same time, Geoffrey said that during the time that he grew up “boys didn’t dance.” With the unaccepting nature of his parents and society at the time, many things were holding him back from pursuing what he loves. However, after working hard and not listening to anyone who said that he couldn’t make it, Geoffrey became successful in his field. I found it particularly interesting that Geoffrey said that he wanted to pursue dance however, he knew that he did not want to be a dancer. Rather, he wanted to be behind the scenes and choreograph dances. Usually, when I think of dance as an art form, I fail to recognize the importance of choreographers and the artistry of the creation itself. Being able to speak with Geoffrey also made me realize that if you are passionate about something and you work hard for it, you will become successful. In addition to this, I found it interesting that he was not only a choreographer, but he was a painter as well. From the start of the zoom call, I was intrigued by his artwork. His artwork is unlike anything that I have seen in the past. Not only did I enjoy the creativity of his artwork but I also liked his personality. He painted multiple commissions, which he never forced himself to do. He allowed for ideas and art to come to him, rather than create anything he could think of just to get paid for it. If he was unable to think of anything or did not like the product that he was creating, he would not sell the piece of artwork. I liked the fact that Geoffrey only sold his artwork when he was genuinely proud of it. Therefore, meeting Geoffrey allowed me to broaden my perspective of dance and art in general.