Thoughts on Rent

Watching Rent was certainly an interesting experience for me. I had never fully watched any movie like it, so it was nice to watch. Overall, I did not enjoy the movie very much, but that is primarily because it is not a style I enjoy. I feel that the writers chose to forgo plot and characterization in exchange for more musical numbers. I suppose that the story makes more sense in its original Broadway musical format. I cannot deny that the actors delivered great vocal performances, and I did enjoy the commentary on the struggles of young artists and victims of AIDS. Angel and Mimi were very interesting characters. Watching the difficulty of finding money as a young, unknown artist could have made for a great story, but I feel that the writers conveyed a poor plot. It seemed that very little actually happened, and there was not enough plot for me to really understand most of the characters. Mimi and Angel had interesting backstories (although they were barely shown), and I certainly liked the scenes including them. In summary, watching Rent was a positive experience, but I would not recommend it to anyone who wants anything more than musical numbers.