My Thoughts on Geoffrey

I really enjoyed Geoffrey’s visit last week. Being a dancer myself, it was interesting to hear from an artist that I could relate to.  Geoffrey was definitely high spirited and his personality reflected in how he spoke about his artwork.  If someone liked the work he created, then he would gladly give it to them because the main thing Geoffrey wanted was for his art to be seen and appreciated. Even though this is true, he is a strong believer in being compensated for his work. This is different from the other artists we learned about, including Revs. Richie mentioned how Revs does not believe in putting a monetary value on art because it soils its meaning and value.

Before Geoffrey was a painter, he was both a dancer and a choreographer. He mentioned how he focused his dance career on musical theater, yet he loved modern dance. Unfortunately, it came down to which style would provide him with a sustainable paycheck. I actually learned about how dancing Broadway paid more. Many dancers who focus on concert dance even perform on Broadway because of the pay. Geoffrey also talked mentioned that he hated performing because something would be different every night which is interesting since he was a musical theater dancer.