Rent

The production “Rent” is one that I am very familiar with. Being in band during high school allowed me to explore many different plays and even perform music from them. Rent was one of the plays that my school did. Overall, the storyline and soundtrack of “Rent” are great. I enjoyed all of the songs and how they related to the storyline of the show. Being able to play the songs on this soundtrack allowed me to build a connection to the play itself. I also think that “Rent” is a good representation of New York City when AIDS was becoming more and more prevalent. The way that they portrayed society and artists in society back then is not very different from how it was in reality. From the production that my school has done, I grew to love this play. However, after watching the movie, I do not think that it is a good representation of the play. The movie tried really hard to replicate the play, in which some parts lacked in translation or were simply done unsuccessfully. The play of “Rent” is much better than the movie that it was turned into. However, the storyline and soundtrack are two things that I enjoyed about this movie. It was nice to revisit an old production and see how it is different from the movie that it was turned into.