Opera Singer: Amanda Hick

Amanda Hick, known in the Opera as Amanda Zory, was a pleasure to meet. Not only did she establish her own Opera company, but she also works in Macaulay. Her expansive knowledge concerning the Opera, as well as her great passion while speaking about the Opera made it a great experience. I appreciated that we were exposed to different forms of Opera from Baroque to Aria and understanding the different styles that different composers such as Mozart and Giuseppe Verdi utilized. It was great being able to have inside perspective about what it takes to run an Opera and how much work she has to put in as the person in charge, from renting the venue to memorizing all of the lines in her next work. Her perspective concerning money and art was like that of many of our previous guests. Ms. Hick said that she sees no problem with their being a fee for art because it goes back into making more great productions and shows. It was also very interesting to hear the different forms of Opera being sung in different languages and tones. Initially, I honestly always thought of Opera as an “elite” idea and activity to enjoin in, but after meeting Ms. Hick I learned that is for everyone and anyone to enjoy. The coolest thing I heard, however, was when she said that they find old scripts in different languages that have not even been translated yet and create a whole production around it, providing people with a story and experience that perhaps would have been left untold.