Josie’s Pandemic Playlist

1. “FDT” by YG and Nipsey Hussle

“FDT” was released the same year Donald Trump was announced president in 2016, but during this year’s election, this song was used everywhere. Personally, I relate to it’s message, and the song’s title conveys my feelings about Trump.

2. “Stuck with U” by Ariana Grande with Justin Bieber

“Stuck With U” was released during quarantine, and I think it’s such an adorable love song about spending time with your partner/significant other during this pandemic. I listened to it on repeat when it was first released, and although I don’t vibe with Justin Bieber, this song is too good to hate.

3. “Freedom” by Beyonce feat. Kendrick Lamar

“Freedom” is such a great song that critiques the racist and biased society in America toward African Americans. African Americans and the black community have faced so many challenges in history and currently simply because of the color of their skin color. This song is all about overcoming oppression and working to fight for the freedom the black community deserves.

4. “pov” by Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande’s album, “positions,” came out very recently, and the whole album is AMAZING. But, one song that stood out me a lot is “pov.” “pov” is about loving someone despite their imperfections. From Ariana’s perspective, she’s wondering how she looks in her significant other’s perspective. Personally, she finds it hard to love herself as much as her significant other loves her, and she wants to be able to understand how he could love her that much. I am a huge romantic, so I think it’s an adorable love song. As well, I think that a great relationship acknowledges flaws.

5. “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor

“I Will Survive” is a great example of a song being an oldie but a “goldie.” This song is obviously not about quarantine, but you will survive this pandemic if you wear a mask and practice social distancing!!

6. “Drive Safe” by Rich Brian

“Drive Safe” is a song that talks about how life isn’t the same anymore as the past, and how the future is very unsure and cloudy. I feel like this describes our current circumstances very well. A lot of people wish life could go back to normal, and because of the pandemic, we do not know if life will ever go back to normal nor do we know how our futures will look like if the pandemic lasts for a long time.

7. “Misfit” by NCT U

Yes, I know, it’s a KPOP song. My whole family makes fun of me for liking KPOP, but the songs I listen to are not the cringey ones everyone associates KPOP with. “Misfit” is a song that gets me so hyped and excited. Every single time I play it, I bop and dance to it. The song gives off bad b*&ch vibes, and ever since the album was released, this song has been on repeat as my “pick me up” song.

8. “Don’t Stand So Close To Me” by The Police

“Don’t Stand So Close To Me” is a song that my dad always plays, and its title is very current. People still do not understand the concept of social distancing, so the next time someone is standing a little too close to me, I know what song I’m playing!!

9.  “This is America” by Childish Gambino

“This is America” was released in 2018, and its message is still prevalent. The song discusses the treatment of and racism toward the black community. Throughout the song, gunshots can be heard signifying how black people are dying everyday because of violence and police brutality, yet our government manages to do little concerning these social problems. Childish Gambino is revealing the reality of America through his song. America is only the land of the free and home of the brave for Christian, straight, white males.

10. “Winter Things” by Ariana Grande

Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, and this song (the whole EP is called, “Christmas and Chill,” and it’s really good) is such a cute holiday song. It’s about celebrating Christmas and doing festive things with your partner/significant other. I find this song absolutely adorable, and since Christmas is just around the corner, it’s something uplifting and cheery during this not so cheery time.