Clenched Fist Symbolism

Peace Through Protest by Sherene Strausberg, via Behance | Protest art, Protest posters, Peace illustration

So I was looking through different forms of protest art and google. I found this one, and I didn’t choose it because it was particularly unique. In terms of what it represents, it is appears to be an anti war example of protest art from the 60s and the Vietnam War The real reason why I was so fascinated with this piece in particular was because of something it had in common with so many other pieces of art I found: The clenched fist. I feel like the clenched fist is one of the most prominent symbols I ever see in protest art, and I wanted to give my two cents on why I think it is so common and such a powerful symbol. Personally, I see it as so powerful because it is something everyone can do, or at least a vast majority of people. Most people can clench their fists. It’s simple, and shows that everyone has the power to do something. Whether it be something as simple as clenching their fists, or protesting change. Also, protests are usually targeted at higher powers, like the government, or a powerful entity. The fist, obviously comes right before making a punch, so it essentially symbolizes “punching up”, fighting the higher powers that need to change.

One thought on “Clenched Fist Symbolism