Thoughts on Geoffrey Doig-Marx

Geoffrey was certainly a very interesting guest. I have a lot of appreciation for his perspective on art and the art world. He claimed he always wanted to be a choreographer, as soon as he watched movies as a kid, and this seems to be a somewhat common theme among artists. However, he knew he had to start as a dancer and take that journey before he could become a choreographer. I have a great deal of respect for his defiance of his own parents and gender norms in his sneaking out to dance. His story of being kicked out of his home at 15 and doing things such as cleaning mirrors and bathrooms just to get into a dance studio is both sad and admirable. Despite everyone telling him that he could not achieve his goals, he continued to believe in himself and his dreams, eventually starting his own dance company and becoming the resident choreographer at a theater. This is highly impressive and inspirational. Furthermore, I enjoyed the fact that he began painting simply because he wanted something to put on a blank wall in his home.  He continued painting and eventually began to sell his work. He said, “On the human level and on the real level, I’m always surprised when I make a sale.” This harrowing statement is a common sentiment among many artists, but I respect that Geoffrey continues to persevere despite all of the adversity he has faced throughout his life. Overall, he may have been our most inspirational guest so far.