My Opinion of Rent

After viewing the film Rent, directed by Chris Columbus, I learned much about the characters involved and thoroughly enjoyed watching their lives unfold. Each one taught a specific lesson about being content in life, and had unique situations that affected them in the early 1990’s East Village setting. Personally, I thought Roger and Mimi had the most interesting relationship. They both shared past trauma that carried over into their present lives, but eventually learned to accept their wrong doings to admit that they loved each other. This can relate to the overall theme that was amplified by Maureen, which was to just be yourself. This allowed each of them to become more happy and successful artists. I liked how the film gave personal looks into Mark, Tom, Angel, Joanne, and Benny’s lives and the hardships they each faced, as well. Tom, Angel, Joanne, and Maureen each had to deal with problems that were not as socially accepted as they are now, and were able to get through these difficulties by singing and sticking together. Additionally, the soundtrack of the film was very meaningful and catchy. Each song furthered the plot while also having a deeper meaning that displayed the feelings of the characters. If no singing was involved, I feel like the deliverance of each line would not be the same. By the end of the movie, I was able to associate certain pieces of music with certain people. The movie illustrated the difficulties of being an artist and attempting to make a living for yourself while going against standard social conventions. This theme was very familiar due to the various works of literature we explored during class that involved artists struggling to make ends meet in society. Overall, I am very glad that I watched this film and was left with a lasting impression due to the unique use of emotion and song.