Opinions on Rent

I’ve always enjoyed watching musicals, and I have to say that Rent was a pretty good film.  I thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack and I thought all the singers were extremely talented. My favorite song has to be the only one I knew prior to watching the movie, “Seasons of Love.” I also have to add that Maurene’s performance was a bit unsettling. I’m used to watching performances that make the audience feel uncomfortable, but something about her show left a bad taste in my mouth. I also simply didn’t like her character because she was selfish and unfaithful. The film definitely romanticized bohemian life and the “hungry artist,” which reminded me of Just Kids. I also picked up on the similarities between the film and Scenes from the Latin Quarter. The scene between Roger and Mimi was almost identical to the scene between Jaques and Francine; the main difference was changing the lost key to misplaced drugs. Even though many of the relationships in the film were toxic, it was nice to see that the whole group would come together at times, including Angel’s death.  My biggest concern about the movie is its length. I definitely think it was dragged out, which made me lose interest at some points, but overall it was a decent film. It wasn’t my favorite musical, but it also wasn’t the worst.