Sara Turku’s Gallery: Colors of Nature

Colors of Nature

1. The Progress of Love: Love Letters

Artist: Jean-Honoré Fragonard

Date: 1771-1772

I chose this painting because I thought it had a beautiful background and the couple in the center of the painting had such sweet and genuine expressions of love on their face. I also appreciated that a dog was in the painting. It matches my theme because the artist uses green, golden, and floral colors in the painting which I associate with nature.

1. Harbor of Dieppe: Changement de Domicile 

Artist: Joseph Mallord William Turner

Date: Exhibited in 1825 but dated as 1826

I chose this painting because I liked the colors used in it. The golden and light blue tones really appealed to me and created a peaceful setting. This piece fit my theme of colors of nature because when I think of colors of nature I think of light blues, greens, pinks, and other warm-toned colors. I also really liked the technique the painter used on the water as he added a lot of dimension.

1. Coin De Jardin Avec Papillons (Grass and Butterflies)

Artist: Vincent Van Gogh

Date: 1887

I chose this painting because I liked the way Van Gogh layered the paint and the depth it added to the painting. I also just liked it because I thought the bushes with butterflies was a very picturesque scene. It fits my theme because Van Gogh is using variations of greens, blues and reds.

1. Sur les dunes, Etaples

Artist: Henri Le Sidaner 

Date:  1888

I chose this painting because I like the colors used, colors that fit into my idea of nature’s colors and my theme, and think it is appealing to the eye. The painting gives off a relaxed atmosphere and when looking closer at the painting it has a lot of depth to it.

1. Bridge over a Pond of Water Lilies

Artist: Claude Monet

Date: 1899

I chose this painting because I like the style of impressionism and I loved the colors used. The painting reminded me of relaxing at a park on a summer’s day and is visually very appealing. Once again, the colors used in the painting reflect what I believe to be colors of nature with greens, blues, pinks and golds.

1. Summertime

Artist: Mary Cassatt

Date: 1894

I chose this painting because I liked the way the woman and girl contrasted against the background. It reminded me of the summertime with people spending their time leisurely and doing outdoor activities. It ties into my theme because it is another painting of the outdoors with the colors I most associate with nature (blues, pinks, greens, hints of red and yellow).

1. Landscape at Pontoise 2/ The Hermitage at Pontoise

(Sidenote: depending on the website the name of this painting varies)

Artist: Camille Pissarro 

Date: 1874

I chose this painting because I liked  the quaintness of the town. I also liked the style of the painting (impressionism) and felt the colors used were very appealing to the eye. It fits into my theme because Pissaro uses a range of green, blue, red and golden colors to paint the setting. 

1. The Grand Canal of Venice (Blue Venice)

Artist: Edouard Manet 

Date: 1875

I chose this painting because it is on my bucket list to take a gondola ride on the Grand Canal of Venice. The painting is visually appealing to me and I liked the vibrant blue that he used. It fits my theme because of the colors he used to depict the canal (blues, golden tones).

1. The Poppy Field/ The Poppies

Artist: Claude Monet

Date: 1873

I chose this painting because I loved the vibrancy of the red poppies against the background. I love Monet’s style of painting and thought the painting overall was very beautiful. This painting fits my theme as Monet showcases the array of colors that a poppy field brings and in that, the colors of nature.

1. Sewing the Sail Painting

Artist: Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida

Date: 1896

I chose this painting because the colors used were so vibrant and the scene is filled with light. This painting fits my theme with green, red, blue and golden tones and while it may not be set in a garden, or river,  it shows the nature of peoples lives in Sorolla’s life. The painting is very realistic and because they are doing such a mundane task makes the painting feel very cozy and welcoming.

2 thoughts on “Sara Turku’s Gallery: Colors of Nature

• Thank you! I think it would be interesting to hold my show at a park or meadow because many of my pictures are set in those areas. My ideal audience is everybody because I think the theme of nature is one many people can enjoy and pieces like these don’t have a complex underlying meaning so they could attract people who usually aren’t that interested in art.