Meeting Jenny Pisani

Our guest speaker this week was Jenny Pisani, a poet who told us about her journey of becoming a poet as well as what has happened since then. Learning about Pisani’s path made me realize that you don’t have to have a certain background or follow certain steps to be a poet. She showed that all you need to become a poet is the passion and dedication for writing. Pisani didn’t imagine herself becoming a poet until she reached college and it was then when she looked back at her original plan of becoming an architect and realized that that wasn’t what she truly wanted to do. From there she began to hone her skill and while it was becoming clear how talented she was, her compassion began to shine through. She volunteered with the Peace Corps in Cambodia for two years and was able to connect with others there through her poetry. Listening to her relit my interest in poetry and reminded me of the way that poetry can connect people.  All in all, having Jenny Pisani as a guest speaker was an informative experience and a reminder that there is no right way to achieve your dreams, and as long as you find happiness in your journey, you are on the right path for you.