Neighborhood Art Find

After taking a walk around my residence, I came across this piece of public art. It was painted on the side of a bakery- its artist and purpose, however, unknown. Being that it is an American flag, I may deduce that it was created perhaps to depict national pride as this flag is quite expansive and takes almost the whole side of the building. Taking into consideration that America is a country filled with people from different origins, then perhaps this piece in a way represents my neighborhood as it is very diverse. This piece however, did not speak to me. I feel that because I am so exposed to the American Flag and  seeing it hung in front of many houses and buildings made this piece seem normal. I almost walked right past it too. However, I think being able to take a step back and really notice my neighborhood and environment was really important too. I thought that I would find more graffiti riddled walls, only to end up with none. After taking step back and really looking at it, I can come to appreciate certain details about the artwork, like how the flag isn’t on an angle, almost as it the flag was being moved by the air and how the piece is full of gradients perhaps to mock the way the sun would shine on the flag. So, while the piece did not really speak to me, I found that I could appreciate it and really take a step back to not only see the bigger pictures but the finer details as well.

One thought on “Neighborhood Art Find

1. Pleasant surprise to find your neighborhood in such “wholesome” shape. It is interesting how some images can loose their impact and meaning with too much saturation. It certainly is reasonable to be able to appreciate a piece of art, without it becoming an instant favorite. We do this with music all the time. “I know this is a well written song, but this genre doesn’t speak to me.” Having these experiences helps to define our “taste” in art, while remaining open to new possibilities.