Saturday, January 9th

Okay, so John is all better.  We had afternoon classes, and tried to go kayaking, but there were too many of us.  Besides, I needed to shower, so I went back and relaxed.  Dinner was pretty standard, then I took a nap.  All the sun in the morning was exhausting.  It was hard to wake up and go out, but I’m glad I did.  We got a real taste of Ecuador nightlife.  We started off going to a local lounge, just to get a drink and hang out.  There were a lot of us though, and everyone was sporadically deciding when they wanted to eat.  The whole thing took longer than I would have wanted.  Next, we checked out Iguana Rock, the club that everyone has been talking about.  That is where everyone who went got salsa lessons.  It looked like it was clearing out at that point, but we really just wanted to look inside.  As we were leaving, a local guy we had seen before, stopped us.  He recommended a local club. Knowing we had to wake up early, we reluctantly went.  It was packed.  There was Spanish music playing, and everyone was dancing.  We stayed for just a few songs, but the taste of the nightlife made us want more.  There is still another weekend.

Tomorrow morning, we are leaving early to go to the highlands.