Astoria, Queens has faced numerous changes that have led to the current changes happening today. I visited the Queens museum in 2017 and chose to re-visit to learn more about Queens, specifically about Astoria. During the 19th century, “Old Astoria” was home to the elite of Manhattan who owned large homes and was extremely wealthy.

A fur merchant, Stephen Halsey arrived with big plans for industrial development. He transformed Astoria into a modern stage with new roads, businesses, churches, factories, and houses. He named the neighborhood “Hallet’s Cove” in the 1800s. However, he later renamed the area “Astoria” after America’s first multi-millionaire, John Jacob Astor.

John Jacob Astor Source: Encyclopedia Titanica

The groups of people that settled in Astoria during the mid-19th century included an influx of German as well as Irish immigrants. After World War II, Astoria saw a new wave of people from Italy as well as Greece. “The Greeks peaked in 1976 with the population accounting for 35,000 out of 185,000.” (Sheperd) When asking a man at a Starbucks, what food I should try in Astoria, he automatically told me Greek food without hesitation. Another significant immigrant group is Arabs. There is a low-key area known as “Little Egypt” on Steinway Street. An interesting fact I learned about Steinway Street was that it was named after the famous piano company, Steinway & Sons founded by German immigrants.

Steinway Street Subway

Touching upon history, I further learned about Steinway & Sons. The company was founded by a German immigrant named Henry Engelhard. The company started gaining recognition and becoming well known. The company then migrated to Astoria Queens, who was facing a big wave of German immigrants at the time. The expansion of the company resulted in economic development for the area. The company was originally settled at Varick Street in the West Village. In Astoria, Steinway’s son built Steinway village which consisted of buildings that correlated to the company such as factories and housing for employees.

As the area developed, many new businesses started to arise as did the groups of people that dominated Steinway Street. The most known group is the Arab population. The reason why Little Egypt exists is that of the culture that was brought to Astoria. The sub-town began in the 1970s from Astoria Boulevard to 28th Avenue which still is thriving.

In the 1960s, Astoria saw a huge growth of residential construction. After thousands of new immigrants started to settle in the area, the need for new homes, businesses, increased. The waterfront is also a big factor for people to want to live in the neighborhood. While Astoria contributes to the diverse atmosphere that is New York, I noticed a slightly more close-knit and community like vibe when I visited.

I personally like to talk walks and observe rather than sit and people watch. I noticed how residents would run into each other frequently. When I stepped into a deli to grab a sandwich, people would be chatting and the environment was parallel to Manhattan’s hustle and bustle. While Ditmars Boulevard is always bustling, smaller neighborhoods such as Little Egypt and Steinway Street are a bit quieter and slow-paced compared to Manhattan.

With the influx of more affluent residents in Astoria, residential construction continues to be a relevant factor within the area. Rents have risen as well as commercialism. As I mentioned before, the East River waterfront is receiving a lot of attention from people. There are two complexes that are going to be built to include over 7,000 units. There is a lot of commercialism that is increasing in the area as well.

Many salons, restaurants, chains, as well as known corporations, were in the area of Ditmars Boulevard. The age group of residents is also younger than older I noticed while walking. The bars and coffee shops are very artsy as well as the restaurants in the neighborhood. I believe that owners are trying to appeal to younger generations with aesthetics.

Astoria’s location is also a key component for people when deciding to move there. It only takes around thirty minutes on the N or the Q trains to get to Times Square. While Manhattan and Brooklyn are also in demand for living, Astoria offers relatively lower rates compared to the other two boroughs. The push of young people has only boosted commercialism which has been a concern for older residents. The authenticity, as well as the culture of Old Astoria, seems to be taking a new turn due to the gentrification that is very present.

The displacement of older generations and mom & pop stores will also be a product of gentrification as well. Will Astoria become the new Manhattan? People forget to take note of how gentrifying an area also takes time. It is not an instant occurrence. Over the past 4-5 years, commercialism has increased tremendously which leads me to believe that within the next decade, Astoria will be a completely different neighborhood than now as well.

Citations:

1. “History of NYC Streets: Steinway Street in Astoria, Queens.” Untapped Cities, 7 May 2018, untappedcities.com/2014/04/09/history-of-nyc-streets-steinway-street-in-astoria-queens/.
  2. Shepard, Richard F. “Astoria, a Greek Isle in the New York City Sea.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 15 Nov. 1991, www.nytimes.com/1991/11/15/arts/astoria-a-greek-isle-in-the-new-york-city-sea.html.