The subway of opportunity

Our space mainly consists of the New York Subway. This picture, in particular, is taken in the 42nd street station. The reason why I chose 42nd is because it has a lot variety. It contains multiple lines including the S(shuttle) line that helps transport people from the West to the East side or vice versa depending on which 42nd station you go into. You will not find this line on other subway stations.Actually walking and analyzing the space has made me realize that how unpredictable it can be. The West 42nd subway line has numerous spaces where there are either stores or performances going on. The performances can range from singing (both modern and traditional) to dancing (hip-hop to tapping). You can find practically anything in the station. It is almost like the space is a city on its own with its own way of life. The picture that is shown represents a woman walking by a poster. The reason why I thought I should use this picture is because it shows a very important aspect of the 42nd station subway. The picture shows people of different ethnicities and different classes. The woman walking symbolizes the everyday life of a New York citizen. It showcases all the people that are working hard and trying to achieve their own American dream. I believe that the 42nd street station represents the entire state of New York. Never have I seen people from so many backgrounds in one station. I can usually pinpoint where most of the people come from in a station, but this is an impossible task when I am at 42nd. It is also impossible to get a picture that displays all the aspects of this versatile space. Not to mention that the events change every time the space is visited! It would take several more visits to fully grasp what can happen in this station.

This entry was posted in Due Oct. 24th @noon, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.