An Early Morning in Coney Island

My photograph above captures the Wonder Wheel, a well-known attraction in Coney Island in another perspective, one that is empty and calm rather than filled with a long line of people waiting to get on the ride or waiting to play at the arcade stands on the sides.

It was an early Sunday morning when my group and I visited Coney Island. Rather than being packed with families and friends on the beach, amusement park, and boardwalk, it was quiet and most of the stores were still closed. It was a stark contrast to the crowded beaches that I was used to seeing in the summer, when everyone was out from work and school. During the summer, the amusement park would be filled with kids running around with hot dogs and shish-kebobs, and the beaches would be filled with families and couples that covered every inch of the sand and laid scattered by the water. The atmosphere was loud and joyous, which would continue through the night, especially on days when fireworks appeared. However, on this day, the early morning carnival vibe was peaceful and slow-paced. Rather than seeing teenagers and families to my right and left, I saw elders, joggers on their morning run, and moms with strollers walking along the boardwalk as they chatted about the weather. Instead of the usual sea of people on the beach, the beach remained empty and quiet. Most of the stores were still closed except for Nathan’s, where we could smell hot dogs and cheese fries and hear some music as we walked by.

This entry was posted in Due Oct. 24th @noon. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to An Early Morning in Coney Island

1. Caitlin says:

I love this photo!!! As a resident of Brooklyn, I live a 20 minute train ride from Coney Island and went to middle school just a few blocks from there. As a result, I visited Coney Island countless times in my childhood, whether it was to ride the now overpriced carnival rides, lie down on the sand beside friends, or traverse the boardwalk towards Brighton Beach. Rarely have I been to Coney Island when it was empty; this photo presents a stark contrast to my experiences. Furthermore, the sight has always been a source of fun and hanging out; I have never absorbed Coney Island as an artistic or public space so it will be interesting to see how your group makes a video out of this place.