During our last class Brandon presented on two studies. The first was a David Binder Research Airbnb Report. in the report 1500 people were surveyed. They were asked about their asked for their opinions on Airbnb through a series a questions. The second study was called Short Changing New York city

As far as content goes, I think Brandon did a very good job at incorporating information into his presentation. I really like that he recapped the stats and figures that were included in the study. By doing this, he set a standard of information and made sure that everyone was on the same page.

Something else he did very well were the points he made. One point that was brought up were the funders for each study. In the first study, Airbnb’s logo was featured, suggesting that they had a hand in in the research. This shows a clear bias. And it makes sense that the study represented Airbnb in  a positive light. The second study was funded by BJH Advisors LLC for Housing Conservation Coordinators Inc. Upon further research, they are a non-profit organization that seeks to preserve affordable housing in NYC. Both funders introduce a clear bias. As a result, I think it is important to take their biases into account when reading the research. ButI don’t think that it invalidates the research. A study was still done and to some extent the data is true.

Another point that Brandon brought up is the need for affordable housing in New York City. In his presentation, he said that housing should be left up to the free market and the government should not interfere with it.  I don’t believe this to be true. I am of the belief that for a capitalist society to work there must be government involvement. Look at countries like Somalia and Iraq. They both have weak or no government. With no government, capitalism will be bashed against a rock. Therefore, i believe that to some extent the government should get involved and that there is no easy answer to a housing crisis. If lower income families are pushed out, communities will lose their sole, the city will lose its flare. Diversity in the city would then decrease. And Manhattan would no longer be the land of opportunity. But instead, the land of wealth and unnecessary exuberance. A more economical argument for government intervention is markets will be more predictable. With a completely unregulated market, prices tend to fluctuate more and be more volatile. Just look at what happened in the crash of 08. 

At the same time, I do believe that there is such a thing as too much intervention. In the case of Airbnb, the city has crossed a line. Who is the city to say what i can or cannot do with my apartment? If i want to open my home to strangers i should have that right. I would think that such a right comes with owning land. I am a little disappointed in the mayor’s office for giving into hotel lobbyists.

One thought on “

1. Your points are well taken, in that regulation goes hand-in-hand with democracy, but the regulation of Air bnb seems to have been manipulated by the hotel lobby.
    Two editorial comments: “sole” = bottom of shoe
    “soul” = inner spirit