Adam’s Presentation

Adam’s class presentation revolved around the idea of free Public Colleges in America. This topic is under the spotlight Governor Cuomo’s Excelsior Program. This program further develops government tuition assistance programs like FAFSA and TAP. The key difference of Governor Cuomo’s plan is the scope of families that it targets. “Under this groundbreaking proposal, more than 940,000 middle-class families and individuals making up to $125,000 per year would qualify to attend college tuition-free at all public universities in New York State.” (ny.gov)

My comment in class in support of this program was that this acutely helps the families who are on the fringe. Meaning, the families who are deemed “financially able” to bear the rising costs of higher education. I can speak about these families because my family is one of these fringe families. We make just enough to never qualify for any FAFSA or TAP grants. City and State schools are the most affordable of colleges but my family would still be struggling if I did not receive a full scholarship. The most prevalent counterargument to my point would be “take out loans,” and while this is a valid point, I disagree.  Student loan debt is so daunting that some people will forgo college altogether at that thought.

Keep in mind that the Governor’s proposed plan is less than a 2 percent increase to the current budget. One of the more prevalent dissenting opinions to programs like this is that people will go to college for liberal arts majors that do not convert to high salaries. Moreover, opponents, namely Brandon, stated that this creates a deadweight loss for the economy. I do not completely agree with him that programs like this cause monetary losses in the long run. BUT EVEN IF IT DOES, A DEADWEIGHT LOSS WHICH EQUALS A MORE EDUCATED SOCIETY IS WORTH IT IN MY EYES.  Maybe that is a too idealistic method of thinking.

Maybe you disagree, and if you do please comment below, but I do not see any big problems with sending any willing person to college. One valid opposing view to this was that if everyone goes to college, there will be a surplus of people with degrees for the same amount of positions. In my defense, this will mean that there will be increase competition and the best performers will get the jobs–thats not a bad thing.

One thought on “Adam’s Presentation

1. Reading this reminded me that the opportunity for a college education is so important, even if it does not directly make someone more financially productive in society. Educated people contribute i in other ways to society even if not engaged in profit-making activity – volunteering, raising families, the arts, spiritually – all important for society.