A Response to Our Class Discussion of Health Care in the U.S.

I’d like to start off by saying that I believe Dylan did a great job presenting the articles on health care and the ACA. Our in-class debate this Monday was easily the most heated that we’ve had all semester. While not a complete dichotomy, the majority of the class seemed to be divided into a group that thinks that the government has no right meddling in health care, and another group that thinks that health care is a basic human right and that the government should take care of the costs for those who either can’t afford it or are not adept at allocating their income.

In High School, I had a history teacher that taught us the utility of analyzing the possible biases of every source. Ever since, I have been looking for biases that could bring the validity of information into question. The data cited from How Repealing Portions of the Affordable Care Act Would Affect Health Insurance Coverage and Premiums wreaked of bias to me. What I would be looking for in an unbiased study is it being conducted by a 3rd party organization where the funding has no link to any parties involved with the data output. A study on government policy, created by the government, has no validity to me because the people who published the study, regardless of political affiliation, are all trying to get their own agendas pushed through into law. This point was brought up by a student on the side of the argument that opposed government-run healthcare.

Another point that this student also brought to the class is that government programs are inefficient. Regardless of our stances on this issue, no one wanted a less efficient health care system. The reason that the government is less efficient that a private company is that a private company is forced to constantly trim its expenses and maximize its profitability in order to fulfill its obligations and stay alive. If a government program wants to incur more expenditures, they don’t have to reduce their expenses at all, the program can simply add funding through additional tax dollars.

On the other side of the argument lies the students that believe that universal healthcare is a basic human right. Even if there was bias, this group was bolstered by the aforementioned study that said that said that healthcare premiums would increase under the proposed republican replacement for the ACA. We heard the argument that other counties, specifically some Nordic counties, have universal healthcare systems in place that work. This was a point that was very prevalent in the failed presidential campaign of the socialist Bernard Sanders, which seemed to rally support for him.

I believe that this more-than-a-little-complicated issue should be left alone, free of government intervention. The great thing about this country is that more than one person gets a say on this issue, and if you try hard enough, your individual voice can be heard. It will be interesting to watch how Trumpcare stacks up and how premiums are affected in long term by all of this government intervention into the industry.

Best,

Brandon Green

One thought on “A Response to Our Class Discussion of Health Care in the U.S.

1. Your point regarding biased sources is well taken. In this debate, it is important that all participants commit to expanding health care at the lowest cost for the highest number of people, while not putting excessive financial burden on anyone. We may need to make changes to our system to get there.
    One grammar note: wreak = to bring out (wreak havoc”
    reek = to stink of (reek of bias)