My Thoughts on Gun Control

Borys gave a very informative and well thought presentation on the implications of gun control, weighing both the positives and negatives. For this post, I would like to give my final deep dive into my opinions on the issue.

First in foremost, I would like to point out that I am 100% in support of effective background checks. As a believer in the 2nd amendment, you have the right to bear arms as a citizen. But I personally believe that this right applies to those who are physically and mentally capable and responsible to do so. Past history of mental illness or mental illness in the immediate family should probably be indicators that a gun should be restricted.

With that being said, I do want to highlight the importance of law abiding, responsible citizen’s rights. Since the founding of our nation, our constitutional rights are the core base for why the United States is a superpower today. Guns are a crucial tool in protecting one’s property, family, and freedom. By taking away guns, you take away a basic right of an American citizen, and to put into Brandon’s words, you take one step closer to Communism (just kidding, or maybe not).

A lot of people like to take an example of other country’s who took away guns. Take Australia for example. They tightened their gun laws very strictly. And yes, gun deaths dropped. But unfortunately, the rate of violent crimes increased. We can hypothesize why this is: those with malicious intent now know that potential targets are unarmed. If they were to have guns, criminals would be much less likely to risk their lives.

In conclusion, I respect the constitution, but I am also not laissez-faire. Regulation to some extent is necessary. But the question remains, where do you draw the line?