Self Portrait

This photograph was taken in front of the high school I went to: NYC iSchool, located in SoHo, NY. The way in which I prepared for this assignment was that I created a list on my phone of meaningful locations to me all throughout the five boroughs. I also created a list of different angles or ways in which the photograph could be taken at any of these locations. For example, one of the ideas was a shot of my whole body while looking directly at the camera. Eventually my friend ended up taking a photograph of me while I was laughing at a joke my other friend said (he is out of the photo frame). I didn’t realize the camera was even on but I really liked the image. The reason why I chose my old high school as the location was that it was a place I never felt like I got to formally say goodbye to. This photo was a final goodbye to it for me. The entrance shown in the picture would always be packed with students and now I wish to capture it empty to signify the effect of the pandemic. I also ensured no other person was in the photograph when it was taken to further this theme of isolation and the Coronavirus. After choosing the photo I brought it into Photoshop where I altered the brightness/contrast, levels, vibrance, hue/saturation, and color balance to give it an aged look. I went for this warm old appearance in order to convey the fact that high school is in the past for me. I also wanted the photo to be easier on the audience’s eyes.  

In the end, I really enjoy the end result of my self-portrait. The “off guard” nature of me not looking at the camera makes the photograph more authentic, along with my smile not directed at the lens. I felt everything to be too forced whenever I was looking at the camera. I learned that I prefer self-portraits to be taken without me (or the person that is being photographed) knowing that they are in the frame. In this photo, I see a version of me that is far from what freshman me in high school was. I see a happier, more mature, and even more successful student displayed. In regards to the digital editing, I am satisfied with the warm appearance the photo has. In my point of view, it does make the photo look more aged which was my goal with the editing. Overall, I had a great deal of fun with obtaining this photo and editing it to what I wanted it to further convey.