Arts in New York Video

I chose the video “New York School: Pt 1” because it was a video that showcased a wide variety of paintings that were created here in the New York School. One of the facts the video taught me was that a group of artists, also known as the Downtown Group, used to get together in Downtown New York in the 1950s. The location was Cedar Tavern, and it played an important role in keeping and progressing abstract painting. In addition to this, I learned that Jackson Pollock was the artist to invent the Drip Technique. This is a technique that has most often caught my eye in paintings. Pollock himself used to create his work by dancing and throwing paint on large scale canvases. Specifically, his painting Number 8, 1949, deeply spoke to me. The canvas has a gray background color, and it has a variety of different colored paint thrown all over it. There is no specific pattern I can notice but the shapes and lines made by the thrown painting feel both calming yet chaotic simultaneously. In general, I feel that this video expresses the art of New York by showing off unique painters that all had very different ideas while living in the same place. The abstract painting and the more traditional paintings resemble the melting pot that the people and environment of the city is. Every New Yorker, like painting, has such different personalities but when placed together in either a room, museum, or video they all come together.