Learning to Appreciate Our Differences

Racism affects everyone- from the victims, to the abuser, to the bystanders and silent onlookers, to those oblivious to it. Racism is a tree that has its roots latched everywhere. I know what it feels like to be a victim of racism, and I am sure that many of you have experienced some form of it. And so, my favorite film this semester has been Spike Lee’s Do The Right Thing.

The film brings to light the effects and results of racism. It showed that when racism is prevalent nobody wins. Radio Raheem lost his life and Sal lost his restaurant. It showed the destructive power of anger, hatred, and racism. A society of such is doomed for disaster.

This film made me wonder if there is a way to effectively eradicate racism. Although many say that education is the key to end racism I don’t necessarily think this is true. Yes, through education others will realize that stereotypes are not true. However, I am very sure that even some of the most educated are racist. I think the key lies in realizing what it truly means to be human: for all to appreciate each other for their differences, not to act oblivious to them; not to be “colorblind”. I know a lot of people who say they are “colorblind” or they don’t see race. I told a lady once, “Well if you didn’t see race you wouldn’t have said you’re colorblind, right?” The conversation didn’t go well from there but it ended with her telling me how racist I was and that I needed to be more open-minded, which was very ironic. Anyways, our color, or any aspect of our appearance for that matter, is a part of us. Saying you don’t see the color of ones skin isn’t the right way to go about things. Look at everyone just as they are and appreciate the difference, the uniqueness, and the beauty of human nature, do not say you are colorblind because you’re not fooling anyone anyways.

Racism can be a touchy topic that many people avoid so I really liked that this film confronted this topic. I also found this film very thought provoking. My favorite part was when Sal’s restaurant was destroyed. The angry mob could of easily attacked Sal and his boys but they destroyed the restaurant. The crowd let out their frustration- and the mob was not only blacks, but is consisted of all races of the neighborhood. Everyone banded together against the injustice that they were all so familiar with. This is a phenomenon I was always interested in. Even when there is dissent in a community or group they will band together against a common evil. I think it shouldn’t take evil to draw us together, but rather humanity should bring us together.

“It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences.”

-Audre Lorde