Art Inspires

Art. Merriam-Webster, one of the most trusted and reputable reference book companies, defines art as something that is created with imagination and skill, and that is beautiful, or that expresses important ideas or feelings. Now, not to downsize the reputation of Merriam-Webster, but, isn’t art subjective? Doesn’t each individual decide whether or not they consider something to be art for themselves? With that being said, to me, art is anything that makes someone feel something, either visually or musically. When I say that art makes you feel something, I mean that it is thought or emotion provoking.

I believe that you know art when you see it. As I said before, art is subjective; just because my mother likes a particular song or painting, doesn’t mean that I do as well. I do not have to like it. I do not have to consider it art. But if that song or that painting inspires something within my mother, or makes her feel something, it is art. In this case, anything can be art. Take for example graffiti, some may consider it vandalism or destruction, another may consider it to be beautiful street art and self-expression. We each define art for ourselves.

The Brooklyn Art Museum displays their idea of art, their perspective. Any art institution does as such. Many people may think that something is only a work of art if it is showcased in a renowned art museum such as Le Louvre or the Metropolitan Museum of Art. On a trip to Le Louvre a few months ago, I had the opportunity to see the Mona Lisa, the extremely famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci. People flocked from around the world to see a painting that was 77 centimeters by 53 centimeters! Sure, it’s a great painting that inspires a lot of questions, it IS art, but that doesn’t make it more important than another piece of artwork. Does it?

10271560_742393685782728_216945680436960661_n

I detest the fact that people think art displayed at a famous museum is any is better or superior to art that is not showcased or held at such high esteem. My problem with this idea is the fact that street art or pieces not shown in acclaimed institutions are still significant; their quality and influence are not diminished. A piece of street art may affect me just as much, if not more, than a piece featured at the Vatican Museums. It all depends of one’s taste. But some of the most meaningful and inspiring pieces are the product of street art, more specifically, revolutionary art. For example, Walls of Freedom, street art of the Egyptian Revolution is not in a museum, but it reaches the hearts of many every single day. Every day. And it makes a difference. It inspires.

Art does not have to be showcased in a museum to be critical. Art just has to touch a person’s heart, soul, or mind. Art is everywhere. All you have to do is open your eyes.