Art in the Unknown

Interpretation, perspective, and the everlasting search for answers. Most viewers of art go through these processes in order to gain their own greater sense of understanding art. In this sense, the very definition of art is subjective and can only be defined by the beholder.

As I walked along the hot, crowded, and tight sidewalk, I came across several pieces of “art.”

As I gazed upon this glorious piece of architecture, my own sense of art labeled this structure as “art.” The initial glance was very satisfying and aesthetically pleasing. You can see the glistening of the sunlight reflecting off of the structure’s window, almost giving the picture a deeper, more interpretative meaning behind it. This structure can even be a representation of hope and serenity. The building itself stands out among the other structures. It is brighter compared to the shadows casted upon the surrounding buildings, thus further enhancing its theme of hope and almost an atmosphere of higher being. In this sense, I considered this structure a piece of art because it was both visually pleasing to look at and offered a deeper interpretation of its existence.

As I continued my long trek, I heard a loud crunch as I crossed the street. Below my foot was the typical $1 cup of coffee and a cigarette butt. I scoffed and thought to myself “how stereotypical.” If I really wanted to I could’ve delved further into this picture and somehow found a deep meaning or theme behind the crushed plastic cup and damp cigarette butt; however, I just couldn’t see how I could attach any sense of emotion or deeper connection with these items. To me, art has to have a deep, almost personal, connection to the viewer. As I tilted my head and pondered over this picture, I just couldn’t relate or even make an effort to see past a crushed cup.

At a first glance, one might think, “Wow…now that’s a cool looking guy. I’d love to get to know his personality and why that’s his style.” At least, that’s what I thought, but not enough to actually stop him and spark a conversation because I’m too introverted for that. This is where my own personal boundaries between art and not art are blurred. At first I may just consider this as an interesting choice of style and nothing more, but as I look closer I can take a deeper approach to it. As I examined this picture further, I looked around the eye captivating man and considered the other people and even their own shadows. Although everyone visually looks different, their shadows are inherently similar. They are mere black body shapes elongated by the shape and length of the owner’s body. This could connect to how people are all inherently the same despite differences both physically, emotionally, intellectually, etc. In this sense, I could consider this picture art because it meets my own requirements of what makes something “art,” or I could just move on and just treat this man as a groovy human being.

To me, art needs to have some kind of personal connection that is deeper than just being visually pleasing. It must evoke some form of questioning and tug to further think and examine. In this sense, art is an evocation that can bring the beholder a greater sense of connection.

Claire Ng

1. Hello! I would like to begin by saying I love your anecdotes accompanying the photos. I walk under the same building as your first picture every day going to Baruch, and I have the same thoughts while looking at it. I feel like the purpose of art can definitely be simply aesthetic. However, I also see the value in the photo of the coffee cup and cigarette. Like you said, it’s stereotypical, and I feel like it is a trademark of NYC, and therefore offers at least some sort of symbolic artistic potential. Looking at the cup and cigarette from a different perspective, you can even begin to imagine the person they belonged to, and conjure up a story behind it being left behind, and why it was left in the street and not in a garbage can. Overall, you are correct that you can’t exactly find an artistic meaning in the cup, but perhaps with some help it could be art.

2. I really love the quality of your pictures. I wanted to comment on the last post. I personally believe that that is art. The colors of his outfit lifted me up as it was a contrast to the gloomy weather and my mood. It sparked many questions in me. I’m wondering if the top has any religious meaning behind it. I am wondering if he intentionally paired it that way or if he was running late and that was the first thing he saw. His pants also intrigue me as I wonder what the lies mean or if the artist had a story to tell with the symmetry and geometry. I think that if art has to have a great sense of connection it would cut out a lot of things. I did not personally have a great sense of connection to the Mona Lisa when I saw it in Paris. So, is it not art? I appreciated reading your post.

x Marie Traore x