Hèlio Oiticica: To organize Delirium?

When choosing a book to read (non-fiction or fiction), a movie to watch (horror or comedy), an art exhibit to explore (Oiticica or Van Gogh) the first question that pops up in my head is “what is the significance of the title?” Therefore, I wondered before arriving to the Whitney, why is the exhibit called Hèlio Oiticica: To organize Delirium? I did not receive an answer until submerging myself through the whole museum. I will share with you through two of my favorite experiences, how Hèlio Oiticica’s art exposes attention to the strains between separate artworks and immersive environments, and private and public places.

An example of the attention Oiticica directs between the tension between separate artworks and immersive environment is exemplified in the “Parangolès” section. After looking through Oiticica’s early life and his fascination with geometric shapes, I entered a smaller room with a projector that displayed pictures of people smiling in colorful clothing, a coat rack full of clothing, and a security guard. The guard said to me, “they [the clothing] were incomplete unless you are moving in them.” I hesitated for a second and was surprised when I heard this. I was always taught that the first and most important rule is to never touch the artwork in a museum. After, a short hesitation I was pleased to hear the guard invite me to be involved in Oiticica’s art. I rushed over to the coat rack and delicately took a blue and red vest with the words “CAPA DA LIBERDADE” imprinted in white. Unsure of what the text meant I google translated it and understood that it meant “cloak of freedom”. It all made sense to me. Those words are the narrative the curator intended on experiencing when walking through Oiticica’s life. Intentionally, the security guard was a messenger for helping Oiticica’s dream come true and I was the fulfiller of that dream when I was physically and emotionally immersed in his art. I thought of how fitting it was freely wearing this at a museum and how powerful and exceptionally different of an artist Oiticica was. Thus, before leaving the Parangolès section, I asked the guard to capture the unique experience on my phone.

Additionally, Oiticica brilliantly exposes the tension between private and public places in his “Eden”. When continuing through my journey at the Whitney I arrived upon the “Eden”.

I transitioned from the Whitney Museum into an assorted love haven. The artificial beach was nothing but a natural environment where I felt stress-free and relaxed. The Eden supplied an atmosphere that was open-minded for introspection and provided books for one’s freedom. The Eden is symbolic of the importance of leisure in a creative process and the exhibit tries to demystify it for pedestrians.

Throughout the exhibit, I learned that Oiticica was harassed by U.S immigration authorities and was forced to move back to Brazil, many of his friends had been imprisoned, and that Oiticica died at the age of 42 from a stroke. He experienced adversary, hardships and harassment in his tough life, however, still emulated light, love and life in his artwork. Hèlio Oiticica took the chaos in his life and organized it to make inspiring, impactful and interactive beauty live on.

Coat Rack for of Clothing (“Paragonles”)

The Eden

Me wearing the Capa Da Liberdade vest

Pile of books in the Eden

Selfie at the entrance of the exhibit

Andrew Langer

1. I am happy I did not review my fellow classmates’ blogs before experiencing the Hèlio Oiticica: To Organize Delerium? exhibit because the blogs would have given me a bias view of the art and it would take away from my initial and personal experience. The exhibit’s focus is to let the viewer become a participator in Oiticica’s art. Although my classmates taught me and showed me a different perspective of art in the exhibit, this exhibit specifically was meant to be experienced through each person’s own perspective. For example, while Marie, connected the geometric shapes to her family, the geometric shapes were not a highlight of the museum for me. If I had read Anastasiya’s blog prior to going to the museum, I would have found a greater appreciation and understanding for the pool table. Thus, going into a museum with prior perspectives and knowledge can be helpful but also harmful.

2. I really like how you took the initiative to truly participate in Oiticica’s pieces. I think this exhibit really took experiencing art as something beyond paint on a canvas to the next level. A person’s experience of this is what he makes of it and I really think you decided that you would make it count and get a feel for what the narrative is trying to say. Its also really incredible how you connected with the piece you tried on and felt that a connection with the artist. Great job!

3. You are very lucky that you were able to be involved in Oiticica’s art by trying it on! You must have had a completely different experience than anyone else in the class! I wish the guard was there when I was in that room, because it would have enhanced my appreciation for the art itself. The Eden was my favorite installment in the exhibit because of the relaxing, free-flowing, and stress-free environment. This blog was extremely well written and your photographs look almost professional. Between this and your grandmother’s painting from blog #2, you are ready to open your own museum! Great work, Andrew!

4. I feel like you took interactiveness to a whole new level. Most museums don’t want you to touch anything and you went on and touched as much as possible which shows a connection that you wanted with the artwork. It is really important to understanding the art of Oticia that you know his history and what he went through. Not only did you google translate a Spanish word to know further what the piece was saying but you researched his life to the extent that you knew he died from a stroke at the age of 42. You were on top of your game!!!!!

5. Hey Andrew,
    It’s very interesting to think about the number one rule at museums, how important it is NOT to touch anything, while in Hélio Oiticica’s exhibit, that was key. Reflecting on your experience, I wasn’t afraid to touch the artwork (that we were allowed to, of course) because it kind of seemed to call me, it came natural to explore these pieces. It’s great that you emerged in the exhibit by trying on the clothing! Thank you!