Experiencing BAM

As I took a seat in the theater, prior to the start of performances, I gazed in wonder at the soaring ceilings and incredibly detailed architecture. The building itself was some sort of haven located smack in middle of the metropolitan scene. As the the lights dimmed, silence ensued for quite sometime until Cafe Müller began. Initially, I was pretty confused by the dancers’ movements and I did not really understand the narrative of what the piece was trying to give over. But as the choreography progressed, and the music grew louder, I felt a certain compassion. I saw a girl and a boy fighting for something, I saw elements that stood against them. In sadness, I saw beauty. I saw fighting and I saw loss. But overall, I saw loyalty and courage, the courage to love and fight for it.

During intermission, my curiosity was piqued as several dumpsters of dirt were spread across the form, an art form in itself. But I wondered, where on Earth is this going? A few minutes later, when the Rite of Spring began, I was completely blown away. The tone of the second performance was so different than the first, not only in music, but in choreography and the number of dancers. They moved so in sync with each other, they became a unit. The contrast the red dress brought created a piece that truly touched me. The struggle to run and hide, and, ultimately, the loss and death that follows left an impression on me that was not soon lost. The entire experience was truly enlightening and amazing and I am so glad I had the opportunity to witness and be a part of it.

1. I love how you mentioned the element of courage in Cafe Muller. I didn’t think of that and that really opened my eyes to a greater picture of the piece. I also loved your comment on how the Rites of Spring dancers were a “unit.” I totally agree with you. Every movement was so in sync yet it wasn’t repetitive or boring to see. Instead I too felt a great sense of awe and appreciation for their skill and expertise.

2. lejlaredzematovic

I totally agree with your statement on the architecture of the theater. I also wrote about this in my response and found it very beautiful as we walked in. I had never been to a theater before so the magnitude of its beauty stunned me just like it did to you. I found that really cool that we both were able to appreciate the art of the building itself, not only the performances on the stage.