Café Müller/The Rite of Spring

First I’d just like to say how grateful I am that we got to go to this performance. I had an English paper due the next morning that I needed to do, and I got stuck on the train on the way over because the power was out on the Manhattan bridge and I was really not feeling like going to a fancy performance but I changed my mind once it started. The first performance was really cool, although I wish that I had had a better understanding of the story/context. I used to go to Broadway shows fairly often when I was a kid because my grandpa did lighting for them and would get free tickets, but I haven’t been to many in the past 5 years and I forgot how magical it can be to see a live performance. I like to concentrate on a particular actor and thinking about how intentional all of their movements are, how every movement they make has been rehearsed so many times.

I liked the second part, Rites of Spring better than Café Müller because it was more visually appealing. I didn’t really need to understand the story to appreciate watching it. It was so cool to see how through the performance the people in dresses got dirtier and sweatier until the crepe material they were wearing was nearly transparent. I think that it maybe had something to do with how women are considered “dirtier” the more sexually active they are, but men (the people in pants) are seen as strong and powerful the more sexually active they are.

Anyways it was a really incredible show and I’m so glad that we got to go.

1. I appreciate the insight about the sexual activity. Although I realized that it was a theme, I focused more on the “acceptance by society aspect”. I think it’s interesting to see that you interpreted the fact that the men got stronger, because I believe it tied into a sentiment we shard about men being “awarded” when it comes to sexuality and strength. Along with the idea of our contrasting point of views, it reminded me of something my English teacher said. She stated that two can be reading or watching the same thing and view it from different lenses. This is evident in our posts as we see the difference in what impacted us both.

2. Great reflection! Hearing about your time going to Broadway shows with your grandpa reminded me of the times I attended with my grandma.

I also really liked your reference to “the double standard.” In today’s society, both men and women are highly sexualized. However, women are often condemned for having sex while men are patted on the back for it. I understand that this is not always the case, but more often than not it is.

3. Hello! I really loved your observations on the Rites of Spring. The involvement of dirt, in my opinion, also represented a more primitive time period. I feel as though the symbolism which you pointed out – a distinction between men and women after having sex and how society views them, is spot on. Seeing the transparency of the women’s clothing made me feel as though the women were not allowed any sense of privacy, meanwhile the men, like you said, still appeared strong and in control. I loved your blog, thank you for sharing your thoughts!