BAM!

As I entered the theatre, I was in awe of all the people that arrived to watch the opera. There was a huge flux of people coming into the theatre, making their way to their seats. I was taken away by the ambience of the theatre itself. The architecture was so intricate that  it added to the aesthetic of the play as well. As I took my seat, I was almost scared I would fall over because we were so elevated. I usually watched plays looking straight at the actors. It was the first time I saw it in that viewpoint, and it was a different experience. You get to see what’s going on throughout the play from all the angles of the stage. The music played a huge role in the opera, when the movements of the actors and actresses were based solely on the opera itself. We learned in my English class, you won’t be able to interpret texts if you’re not invested or at least put the effort to be invested. At first, I didn’t understand what was going on with the repetition of the girl running towards the guy, and continuously being put down on the floor. As the play progressed, she was being slammed across the walls. When the man and woman kept hitting each other against the wall, you could feel their passion and frustration they were dealing with in the opera. I saw it as a blind girl finding love, and even though the odds are against her. She keeps fighting for the relationship, which showed the compassion and loyalty she encompassed for him.

The second scene had a different vibe compared to the first one. They brought out huge dumpsters filled with dirt, and synchronized male and female dancers. The music was so intense and the moves the dancers were doing was so sharp and almost aggressive as well. It brought a new tone for the opera. It was definitely my favorite part of the entire opera. Even though I didn’t fully comprehend what was going on, I got a feeling and interpretation from the music and movements of the characters.