To Organize Delirium

To Organize Delirium, an attempt to describe in words what Helio Oiticica’s intention was with his art. Oiticica was a prominent member of the Neo-Concrete movement- an art movement that sought to comprehend the complexities of human emotions through physical objects that would invoke feelings within the viewer of the art. In his piece Tropicália, Oiticica actually forces feelings of quiet and relaxation onto the viewer by having them take off their shoes and socks, something you don’t often get to do in public spaces, and walk through spaces of sand and water. Beyond the exhibit, you could see the Hudson River glistening through the windows and I felt as though I had been transported to the beaches of Rio de Janeiro where Oiticica grew up.

Cesar Oiticica Filho, Oiticica’s nephew and artistic director of the exhibit said “The object is not important for you, the most important thing is the experience.” The curators talk about how Oiticica intended to shake things up. He left Rio due to the oppressive government there and moved to New York City where in the seventies, all different kinds of art were being made and celebrated. Oiticicas “parangoles” (which translates to habitable paintings) could be modeled and danced in, as they were intended to, on rooftops and in subway trains. People were open to new ideas and Oiticica’s art relished in this.

Here’s me in a parangole 

This narrative helped me engage in his work because it gave me this context to see the art through. When I walked through the piece, Rijanviera, which Oiticica created after his return to Brazil from New York City, I could really understand how calming it must have been for him to return to his home, a lush paradise, after living in New York City. I could feel how nice it must have been to return to nature after being in such a bustling metropolis like New York.

Here’s a picture of me in the exhibit

The title of the exhibit, To Organize Delirium felt especially relevant for today. The state of the world currently, with natural disasters happening every week and terrifying decisions being made in politics, from local to international scale leaves us all feeling delirious. It makes sense that the Whitney decided to put this exhibit on display now. There are people leaving America, both voluntarily and because they have no choice, similarly to how Oiticica fled Brazil’s oppressive government. The exhibit feels like a soothing sanctuary amid all of this turmoil. Although I must note that at tickets being sold for $25 a pop, this is not a sanctuary available to everyone.

This was one of my favorite pieces from the exhibit, which I first thought translated to “Be marginal, or be hero” which I didn’t really understand. Not everyone who is marginalized can just give up their lives to become a hero and fight for the revolution or otherwise. Later I googled it and realized that it actually translates to “Be an outlaw, be a hero” and that it was the contribution of Oiticica’s to Exhibition of the Flags. The dead body on the flag is that of Manuel Moreira, known as Cara de Cavalo (“Horse Face”) who was a fighter for the rights of minorities and was assassinated by a paramilitary group. Manuel Moreira was also Oiticica’s friend and lover which made it especially poignant.

I also really liked the depiction of Che Guevara looking childlike and in awe and decorated with sequins on this parangole, because he is usually seen looking so stern and intense. Another good detail of this piece is that the inside was lined with a floral pattern.

Overall I really liked this exhibit! I went with my dad who I hadn’t seen in a while and it was an evening well spent. Also I listened to the playlist while doing this assignment before even seeing that you had mentioned it in the directions. It’s so good! I love old Brazilian music.

Julie

1. Julie, I love how passionate you are in everything you do, especially when it comes to art. I always love to read your opinions on exhibits and galleries because you always seem to find a silver lining, or appreciate even the smallest things a whole lot more. I’m glad you enjoyed this exhibit, and I think you came out of this exhibit in more of a level-headed state of thinking than I was in, because reading your blog cleared up a lot of my confusions about Oiticica’s work. I never thought about the aspect of an almost forced “relaxation and peace” but it truly makes sense in the way you explained it- we are asked to take off our shoes and bags and find relaxation in a public space unlike we naturally do on a daily basis. Thank you for your lovely post!

2. I thought it was really interesting that you pointed out that the exhibit felt like a “sanctuary amid [the] turmoil” because I didn’t think of it through this lens at all until you pointed it out. In fact, I was looking at it more as a mockery of the government’s vision of Brazil. This makes more sense though, haha. Great post! 🙂