Studium and Punctum

The photographs which were shown at the Miskin Gallery were quite interesting and they all were pretty different from one another. Photography is unique because the picture which was taken can never be captured again. This is due to timing, place, pose, and many other factors. Furthermore, photography can be defined as a captured moment which is recorded through visual senses. These visual senses trigger many thoughts, emotions, and even action. Yet, all photographs have one theme in common. They all capture peoples attention in some way or form which could affect them in the future on a conscious or subconscious level.

Barthes describes the process of studium as the capturing of one’s attention. This is different for everyone because we all have a lot thought processes occurring simultaneously which causes this “capture”. This doesn’t mean that we deeply connect to the photograph, rather, it means we have something in common but we don’t know what. At first, a person has a small bond with a photo which could be broken by distractions and other occurrences. But, as soon as the photo triggers deeper explanation, memories, and even action that is what Barthes calls Punctum. This bond is not easily broken because the connection is made and is a part of someone at that point.

In the gallery, a photo of Rabbi Schonfeld contained both essential aspects of photography. It caught my attention (Studium) because I saw a stern yet confused face looking at something which I wanted to know more about. His clothing blends into the background except for the white and his mysteriousness talks to me. But, the tipping point was when I read that he was a rabbi. Last year I went to Israel for a full year and this man triggered memories of the great times with my own rabbis. It allowed me to access a part of my memories which I wouldn’t have been able to if I hadn’t seen such a photo. Now, Rabbi Schonfeld is part of my memory and it’s as if I know him and could connect to him through our similar lifestyles. The photographic “knowledge” which this gallery displays are ingenious. He incorporates something which relatable to many different people and different backgrounds. Marcel Sternberg’s photos range from many different people groups which creates a Studium and Punctum which makes this gallery special. This could be a rabbi, priest, psychologist, unknown person, police officer, a woman, and many other photographs.

When looking around my neighborhood I took a photo of this tree. This tree had Studium because it caught my attention due to its largeness and beauty in the lighting. People must be thinking what part of Punctum is apparent in such a photo. I personally see a place where I used to play on the weekends with my brother and even though it had been years since the last time I utilized the tree to play it is still a part of me. This shows that the photograph doesn’t need to be a wonder for it to incorporate Studium and Punctum. Simplicity in a photo could be the best way to show these two aspects because those are the photos which could have the deepest meaning and connection with and each person connects with something on their own level.

By: Alon Bezalel

1 comment

1. lejlaredzematovic

The image you took in your neighborhood is really beautiful! The whole idea and reasoning behind the two concepts that Barthes introduces to is so prevalent in that picture. Right away you are drawn to the photograph for its beauty but you then have a personal connection with the tree itself which really encompasses studium and punctum completely.