Barthes & Photographs of Marcel Sternberger

In “Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography,” Roland Barthes discussed about two concepts of photography, studium and punctum. Studium is when a photograph catches one’s eye, but there’s no deeper connection. The picture could have a colorful background or could be of someone doing a distinctive pose. Barthes state that studium is matter of liking or not liking, ‘not loving.’ Punctum has more substance compared to studium. In the text, it mentions punctum ‘bruises’ you, so it leaves a lasting impression on you. When you see the photograph, you’re taking something away from it when you leave; leaving a mark on you.

When I visited the Photographs of Marcel Sternberger: Portraits of the 20th Century exhibit at the Miskin Gallery, I found most of the photographs at the exhibit to be studium. For example, when I saw these pictures of the infamous scientist, Albert Einstein, it caught my eye since I recognized him from my science textbooks. Although these photographs got my attention, it didn’t leave a lasting impression on me. I didn’t take anything away from it other than Albert Einstein played a crucial role in the development of the early 1900s. 

This photograph of the ‘Old Man,’ in my opinion was an example of punctum because not only did it capture my eye, but it led me to have an emotional reaction. At first, when I saw this picture I noticed the details of the man. The way he is looking down, instead of looking into the camera. He also has this solemn look on his face as well. I interpreted it as him reflecting on the adversities that people were dealing with during the 20th century such as the World War. The photograph also had a very simplistic and straight-forward title, “Old Man,” which leads spectators to focus solely on the subject of the photograph, the old man. The details of the old man such as his beard and eyes reminded me of my own grandfather. He looks very similar to this man in the photograph. Since I was able to relate this picture back to my own life, it ended up ‘bruising me’ like Barthes stated. It got an emotional reaction out of me, which is what punctum does to viewers. 

You can see studium in this picture because it can catch someone’s eye at first such as the black and white filter on the photograph or the scenery of New York. There is also a presence of punctum because it leaves a lasting impression on me personally. It’s a picture of me looking at the city I grew up in, and wanting to do big things in it as well. It stirs emotion when I see this photograph, which is what punctum is intended to do. No matter if a photograph has punctum or studium, photographs serve some purpose or message to the world or even a single person.

1. Sarin,
    I thought you did a wonderful job taking two pictures of to elderly men and categorizing them into studium and punctum. I found it interesting when contrasting the two pictures, of Albert Einstein, the man you have seen in your textbook, was the studium and the old man, who you didn’t know, was your punctum. Maybe there is a correlation with familiarity and studium and punctum.
    Great work,
    Andrew Langer

2. I loved your reflection on the “Old Man.” When I saw the photograph, I didn’t pick up on the things you did. I didn’t interpret the solemnity on his face as him reflecting on the adversities people were dealing with during the 20th century. I didn’t even notice how much emotion was in his eyes.

Also, I really liked how you drew a connection between the man in the image and your own grandfather. It made me gain a newfound appreciation for this piece.

Overall, great work!

3. I like the distinction you made that studium is something that catches your eye but you don’t take with you and that punctum is something that causes a personal reaction and that you take away with you. I hadn’t thought about it that way and I was having a hard time differentiating the two but that helped me!

4. Your depiction of how you personally related to the photograph of the old man sounds like the purest form of punctum and was very well worded, especially when you mention the solemn look on his face, and how you quoted Barthes in saying the photograph’s resemblance to your grandfather bruised you in a way. I can see how the photo of you standing next to the water with a black and white background can catch someone’s eye, and personally, it added a very nice touch to the blog!

5. Couldn’t agree more with your take on the impact of studium and punctum in photography. I also used the photo of the Old Man for similar reasons that it reminded me of my grandfather! Not only does this speak volumes about the photo, but it plays to the importance of punctum in photography, and how viewers are able to make art personal for themselves. Great blog!