India: Contrast, Layers & Colors

Raghubir Singh did a wonderful job capturing real moments in people’s lives in India. He captured an array of scenarios, from celebrations to poverty and everything in between. Although I didn’t find any explicit references to “pre-colonial” India, Singh did a great job showing the new things in people’s lives and the way they affected people. For example, Singh captured a man who looked homeless and hopeless next to a retro-looking car. Many questions come about this point. Is the car perceived as new or old in India? How does the man see this car and is he even phased by it? Singh could have cut it out of his frame, therefore there should be a reason for its place in the photo.  

Singh also uses different elements in his photos and their relation in layers of the photo. He used glass as a “modern” view in a photograph of a woman at the market, in the photograph “Pedestrians, Kemp’s Corner, Mumbai, 1989.” Perhaps it’s an old practice viewed through a modern perspective. In the same way, Singh made a comment about the English’s influence when photographing a beautiful statue of a lion that looks entrapped in a net that someone is simply and randomly holding in front of the lion. Perhaps, Singh references a reverse of roles, where now India has grown to live around and with English influence, instead of the English being dominant and intrusive.

Additionally, Singh plays with colors. They create the studium in his photographs, capturing the observer’s attention. The contrast between brown buildings and dirty roads, and colorful clothing and bright components, also creates a statement between two elements. This contrast is predominantly seen in women’s clothing, that is usually very colorful in comparison to the surroundings. This might be a statement about the importance of women’s roles in society.

Overall, Singh captured postcolonial India using real life examples contrasting different themes in the lives of people. He uses layers and colors to convey his interpretations. In all honesty, I don’t know too much about pre-colonial India in order to compare Singh’s post-colonial images, however my interpretation is that Singh’s photographs show adaptability. There weren’t lengthy descriptions of the photos and excessive analysis of the situations. Singh shows them the way they are and lets the observer decide. To me, life in India seems like it is adaptable to all situations, in laughs and cries, riches and poverty.

Ellen Stoyanov

1. Most people didn’t look into the layers of Singh’s photographs as you did. You expressed 3 different qualities which makes him such a unique photographer, especially at this time. When you said that he captures the “real” moments, I thought that that is so true. He does a great job showing an objective reality as opposed to an artificial reality.

2. Ellen, I loved how you mentioned about layers and depth in his photography. I didn’t think of that when I first saw the pictures, and I agree it adds a certain depth to the photographs and the concept of India feeling liberated after post-colonization. I also enjoyed your symbolism on the lion and India living along with the English influence. Overall, great blog I really enjoyed it!

3. lejlaredzematovic

Your perception of Singh using layers in his photographs to portray the reality of life in India is amazing. I really agree with your idea that there is depth and different layers of perception to all of his photographs that give them completely different meanings. I also agree with your idea of color being important to his exhibit, I also observed this and related this to the contrasting ways of life in India.