Observing

I often pass Madison Square Park on my way to school every day; however, I am usually running as to not get to my class late. So visiting the park for the sole sake of observing nature, human nature in this instance, even though the landscaping is beautiful, was certainly something unique. I recorded some of the things that I noticed:

• People seem to be convening at the statue to take pictures of it and the Flat Iron Building across the street.
  • The tables around Shake Shack are packed with people with a fairly high turnover rate.
  • People seem to be sitting on the benches a little bit longer than at the tables.
  • The population gracing the park is so diverse, and everyone remains courteous and friendly.
  • Some people are sitting alone, either reading or playing with pets.
  • People are mostly focused on themselves, rarely turning to the person next them to strike up a conversation.

With Mumford’s words in mind, I mulled over these findings trying to understand what makes the experience of a park in the middle of New York City a prime location essentially for a “theater of social action.” I came to the conclusion that the park really was a theatre, but with several stages displaying the behavior of the people of the city. In certain places, like the benches, the social action of relaxing among peers and stopping to enjoy the scenery was prevalent, while in other places, like near the trees, a sort of lack of social action was displayed in a single person sitting under a tree and reading. For some, interaction was with family, for others, with friends, and for some, it only involved a quick glance or a second of eye contact with a passerby. The diversity of the park depicts so many different scenarios we tend to encounter on a daily basis as we face the world. There are people enjoying company, enjoying solitude, interacting with people, and interacting with nature. I believe, that in this sense, the park stands as some sort of microcosm that represents the city as a whole. It provides a place for people to get away, even if for a second, from the rush of city-life and interact with people, or even with themselves, in a way that differs from a typical New York mindset. This experience definitely opened my eyes in appreciation for the opportunities that parks or little green spaces provide as a relief, either through nature or the camaraderie surrounding a local eatery. Observing, I understood this small pocket of Manhattan facilitated something so much larger than I could ever imagine: connections with a place, people, and even an inner self.

1. I really enjoyed your blog! I like the idea that all of the things that happen in the park represent what goes on in the whole city in a way, and even in our daily lives. Also, a great way to think of the park, as an escape from the craziness on the streets! Great job.

2. I also observed the park in a whole new light when taking the time to actually notice it! I too pass through often and never have the time to observe the scenery around me. I found that it is rather interesting to actually observe!
    I liked how you described (based of Mumford’s deffiniton) as a theater having multiple stages. I in contrast, viewed the park as one stage with a single drama occurring. However, I think it seems more reasonable to view the park as a multiple stages or perhaps multiple acts/ scenes.
    Well said and thank you for enlightening me to a shift in perspective!

Yael Magder