Childhood Nostalgia: Grand Central

Notes

• Childhood story
  • Fascination with the stars/astrology of the roof (great expanse)
  • Tall windows with streaming light from the outside
  • Brilliant center clock
  • Childs play with the talking walls
  • Anticipating food from the market/dining course
  • Expanse of the dining course=excitement (personal experience with magnolia bakery or junior’s)
  • Excited kid about the bustling people and expanse of main concourse

Story

A Saturday morning, no, the Saturday morning that mom and dad are going to finally take me into the city again. I’ve waited patiently for this day to come. I bounced around the seats in the cart looking at the Hudson River and hills speed by as the train rushed along the tracks. Finally, the train hissed into the station. Holding both my parents by their hands, I began dragging them up the ramp pushing past the other tall adults.

Speed walking across the concourse, we finally reached the brilliant center clock. I twirled as I soaked in the great expanse of the grand concourse. Looking up, I stared in awe at the brilliant blue, star-covered ceiling. Looking around I admired the bustling commuters, admiring their lives and anticipating my own future.

“Mom, mom can we please get cheesecake,” I yelled as I tugged on her jacket’s sleeve. She looked at my dad with a judging stare. “Well, you do know it’s still pretty early for cheesecake,” my dad replied. I tightly hugged his arm and looked up with glistening eyes.

“Please!”

My mom gave out a loud sigh, “Fine, fine. Junior’s?”

I screamed out with glee dragging them down the stairs into the dining course. Pushing past the numerous of people, I finally made it to the long line for Junior’s Cheesecake. Wrapping my hands around the plastic container with strawberry cheesecake, I hurriedly handed out the forks and ran to a table nearby. In less the thirty seconds, I scarfed the sweet treat down leaving only two bites left for my parents. Staring up at my parents I gave them the usual look I always give them whenever we pull into Grand Central. My dad looked at my mom. “She wants to do the game,” he said as he rolled his eyes. My mom nudged me in the shoulder, “You want to talk to the walls?” I jumped out of my seat and nodded my head so aggressively I thought it was going to fall off. My dad laughed and took my hand and brought me to the talking walls. My mom stood at one corner of the wall while my dad and I stood at the other corner. Leaning out faces into the corner I gave out a loud, “Hello!” Waiting a couple of seconds, I soon heard my mom’s simple, “Hello there.” I giggled and made my dad speak into the corner, looking around at the curious faces of the passing people.

These were the moments I remember as a child. These were the moments I truly appreciated my surroundings. Whether it was the simple act of walking across the Grand Concourse or tasting the delicious cheesecake, that unfortunately isn’t available in Grand Central anymore. As I walked in Grand Central, as I have numerous of times before, I remembered these moments with a new perspective and truly reflected on how much appreciation I have for Grand Central.

Claire Ng

1 comment

1. Loved your notes on the GCS because it allowed me to see your thoughts before the story even began, great idea starting with the Notes. As fas as the story goes, I love how you were able to keep the flow of the short story going. You definitely kept readers engaged and invested into the story by showing the raw emotions of the little girl. As someone who also loves Magnolia Bakery, I can relate with her excitement! Overall great blog!!